The Goal: To bring young people to the fullest degree of spiritual maturity to which they are capable. This program is a one-on-one (two-on-one) Catechesis model. Students with profound special needs are paired with teen faith mentors who work under the supervision of adult catechists. The faith mentors work from a lesson that is developed by our Master Catechist to meet the spiritual needs of each student.
The Dates and Time:
The Teen Faith Mentors and Catechists:
- The program will Kick-Off with a Welcome Party on Sunday, September 11th 2016
- We will meet 6 times before Christmas (approximately every other week) and 6 times after Christmas, ending with Reconciliation and Mass on April 29th
- The program will begin at 4:30pm with group prayer and songs with the students, Catechists, teen mentors and parents
- Typically it will last no more than 45min., depending on the student it may be shorter but no longer
- Parents are asked to stay during this time and gather together for support, socialization and discussions led by an adult catechist.
- At the end of each session, the teen faith mentors will briefly share the lesson with the parent so that it can be reinforced at home in between classes.
- This type of program has proven to be successful because of matching students with a peer teen mentor. All teens serving as peer mentors are trained, supervised by a Master Special Needs Catechist, attend Mass and RE regularly and have a heart for people with special needs.
- The program has been developed from an existing Parish-Based approach under the direction of Deacon Larry Sutton, PH.D. in Pittsburg, PA. His book, How to Welcome, Include and Catechize Children with Autism and Other Special Needs has been our source for development.
- We will be using materials from the Finding God Adaptive Curriculum and the University of Dayton, Welcome One, Welcome All Inclusive Religious Education curriculum.
- For information about the PROGRAM - please contact the Program Coordinator, Sherry Moitoza at email@example.com
- To REGISTER a student for this program please contact the RE Coordinators, Susan Joseph (English) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ivonne Salazar (Spanish) email@example.com